Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OE Email Header Value for: X-POP-User: exposes Alternate Email Addresses + doesn't match From:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJZeak

Programmer
May 3, 2008
CA
Just noticed a peculiar email header the other day from a client ... Outlook Express 6 running on a XP VM in Win 7 Pro 64 (please don't ask why) has several email accounts set up to use POP3/SMTP services from both a domain based email server provider and the ISP's domain ... OE correctly assigns the Default Account address to From: OR allows the user to select from one of the other assigned accounts ... what is odd, OE appears to be also sending a X-POP-User value in the header ... this value appears to be randomly selected from one of the other assigned Accounts. My expectation is that this value should either match the From address OR at least have a consistent value ... what was totally unexpected is that it presents the downstream recipient with an alternate email address ... in my mind I maintain alternate email addresses for good reason ... the last thing I would expect is OE to just start broadcasting random alternate addresses.

adr1@ispdomain.com Default
adr2@theirdomain.com
adr3@theirdomain.com
adr4@theirdomain.com

There doesn't appear to be any settings in OE that might relate to how this value X-POP-User value should be used ... OE doesn't have a login to identify a User ... so what is this header value? ... should I be concerned with this mismatch other then from my point that it exposes addresses that I might want to be kept private? ... Perhaps this may finally present a way to convince the user to let go of OE?

Header1 (X-POP-User not

X-Symantec-TimeoutProtection: 0
Envelope-to: me@mydomain.com
X-POP-User: ard2@theirdomain.com
X-VIP: 123.123.123.123
To: "Me" <me@mydomain.com>
Subject: testing

Header2 (new email, same metrics, X-POP-User doesn't match previous Example)

X-POP-User: ard4@theirdomain.com

Header3 (from a different account)

X-POP-User: ard1@ispdomain.com

You will probably find that it is the mailbox that the user currently has "active" and is displaying messages from.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back