Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OE 6 won't connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I get the following when OE 6 (on Win XP) tries to connect to my mail server (mail.attbi.com). I can ping mail.attbi.com just fine.

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.attbi.com', Server: 'mail.attbi.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I know my password and login name are entered correctly as I confirmed them by logging in directly on the att web site. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The error message states your "account name" is mail.attbi.com and I don't believe that is a correct setting. Are you sure you configured your account name correctly in OE? joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

can't access e-mail....says it won't accept my password that I have been using forever!

When it says account mail.attbi.com - that is the friendly name that it gives the account in outlook express by default. His username and password are probably correct.
Here are a couple things to check that I have seen in Outlook Express 6.0 -
1. With Outlook Express open go to Tools > Accounts > Mail Tab
2. Is there more than one account in here? If so, make sure one of them has the word DEFAULT next to it.
3. Click on Properties and then on Server Tab.
4. Make sure this is set to always connect to this account using Local Area Network.
And finally check your mail on a pop mail viewer like - this will ensure that the mail server is able to accept your username and password as well as let you look in your mailbox. Is something really huge or look like it is corrupt? That's the course of action I would be taking.

Harley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back