Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODM problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hungdaemon

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2003
US
I have a IBM p690 attached to a Hitachi ESS. I created a vg using the exposed Hitachi drives (which has always been successful in the past), and it failed. Even though it failed, I still see the vg when I do an lsvg. If I run lsvg -l or -p, I get the error saying that I need to varyon the vg. If I run varyonvg, it fails.

I did some searching on the web and found that someone cured this problem by running odmdelete -q name=vgname CuAt. I did this, and the object seems to have been deleted in the ODM, but the OS still sees it when I run lsvg. Another suggestion I found was doing and exportvg, but that fails because it is no longer part of the ODM. This is a relatively new system, and I do not have a valid backup.

Any other suggestions? Any help is appreciated!!

HD

I fixed the ODM problem... but bigger than that, was the problem that there was a VG descriptor written to the label of the raw Hitachi disk. Fix: "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hitachidisk count=512".

But uh... I wouldn't run that command unless you are certain of its outcome!

HD

Do you use other brands of frames, or just Hitachi? Curious about your experiences. IBM Certified -- AIX 4.3 Obfuscation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back