Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oddity with DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfriend

MIS
Feb 10, 2003
US
My Pix deployment is a little different than most organizations. Since we already have a permiter firewall in place that is controlled by another department, we have deployed the pix IN FRONT of all of our servers (not clients) and we treat all internal traffic as OUTSIDE.

With that said...I have one server behind the pix at the moment. And I'm just testing stuff out before I go full-blown.

For testing purposes I'm pointing to DNS servers that are OUTSIDE of the pix, and I am able to resolve everything...BUT I am only able to get to Web Address on my local network (xxx.xxx.0.0) When I ping it resolves but of course I do not get a reply.

When I try to open IE and go to I get nothing. But I can get to intranet sites.

Any ideas on this? What am I missing O' Great Pix masters.

actually it's not a DNS issue, so my thread title was misleading..sorry for the brainfart.

yes, I can access web/ftp etc. on the intranet (which is considered outside on the pix).

I can even resolve WWW, but I can't get to WWW.

Only thing I have in my ACL is
access-list outside-acl permit tcp host ME host MY_SERVER eq 3389

so I can TS in. I TS in, and try to get to I can't.

I try to go to local_intranet_site...I can.

it's weird. maybe the permiter firewall is blocking. I'll check into that.

perimter firewall is NOT blocking this server. This is really weird.

Issue was a bumm routing map, whatever that is. I just sent the info to one of our network guys and he fixed it up ricky-tick.

just wanted to make sure it wasn't something on my end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back