Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Odd USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLScholar

Programmer
Aug 21, 2002
GB
Hey all,

I have a rather odd USB.

USB optical mouse works fine.
USB pensticks.... some seem fine.
USB cables to phone\satnav\tablet all seem to only work if i push the cable up slightly on the connection to me laptop. Seems strange that its not on all uses of port. Also the cable will charge the item but does not connect to the storage unless pushed upwards.

Ideas?

Dan

----------------------------------------

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Bernard Baruch

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes - EW Dijkstra
----------------------------------------

It does sound a bit like a loose fitting or faulty connection.

Are you able to test your USB equipment out on other machines to see if there is a problem there?

How old is this laptop? Some ports could just be worn our from use.

Are you using the same USB to MiniUSB to go to the phone/tablet/GPS? If so could be a bad cable instead.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back