Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Odd route appears after reboot, Solaris 10 (x4500 series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

forrie

MIS
Mar 6, 2009
US
We have a point-to-point fiber that connects two thumpers across site which is used for replication of data. Normally this is just a matter of two interfaces, no route and no problem. However, on this system (Solaris 10), when the system reboots, we end up with a route that completely shuts down other traffic. IE:

10.0.0.0 10.111.233.3

Where on other interfaces we use the same IP space like:

(ie: 10/8)

It's easy to manually delete the route, our /etc/defaultrouter is correctly set to the primary interface.

I'm more of a Linux person, but I'm wondering if we need to add a persistent route entry for that specific /24 that is not related to our internal networks?

I also noticed, and this may be a side effect of the above, the interfaces are not automatically coming up at boot (ie: ifconfig <interface> up, resolves it). I think it's due to the mishap route.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

What do you have in /etc/networks (or is it /etc/inet/networks?) for the network in question? Is it the same on both servers?

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

/etc/networks is a symlink to /etc/inet/networks :) Ours is just a standard, there is nothing referencing any other networks there.

Should there be? I read through the manpage, it wasn't clear.

Perhaps I'm thinking of netmasks rather than networks.

I'll have a dig around on my Solaris VM when I get a chance.

Annihilannic

Had another issue similar to this, on the secondary system -- the netmask was changed to a /8 (255.0.0.0) when it should be 255.255.255.0 -- this is probably in response to the first system.

This is really p**sing me off. Our Linux systems just run, they don't misbehave like Solaris. I can't figure out out to statically set these so they won't be mucked with.

Did you find anything?

Thanks!

Just had a quick look, /etc/inet/netmasks is the file I was thinking of; what does it contain on your systems?

Annihilannic

/etc/netmasks is symlinked to /etc/inet/netmasks, and we have:

10.250.0.0 255.255.255.0
10.251.0.0 255.255.255.0
10.245.137.0 255.255.255.0

So you can see, when Solaris puts in a 10/8 route for the last network, it shuts everything else down.

Thanks.

Again this only happens after the system reboots. The correct route we have for the point to point config is:

Routing Table: IPv4
Destination Gateway Flags Ref Use Interface
-------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ---------- ---------
default 10.250.0.1 UG 1 4669
10.245.137.0 10.245.137.20 U 1 612 e1000g2

I'm not sure why Solaris won't keep this information --- where can I place this so that it stays static?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back