Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Odd Problem between 2 sites (Cisco 805's and PIX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyndonl

IS-IT--Management
Aug 7, 2003
ZA
Hi

I really hope someone can point be in the right direction.
I have a client with 2 sites they are connected our MPLS VPN
they also have access to the Cisco VPN client. which puts them in their network

Now for the problem
If you log in to the VPN client you can do anything you would be able to to at the head office. browse network shares, browse the intranet etc, even login to machines via remote desktop.

However if you are in the remote branch you can ping and telnet to your hearts content to any machine in the head office, you can also browse network shares. but you can not copy any files from a local machine in the branch to a share at the head office.

the first few packets get through the connection is established and then the session just hangs

The same thing happens with Remote Desktop from the branch to the Head Office. Remote Desktop opens the login box starts loading and then it justs hangs,

Whats interesting here is that you can practically anything from the HO to the outside world
And
From anywhere via the Cisco VPN client to the HO or the Branch
And from the branch to anywhere
Except move data from the branch to the head office or from the head office to the branch

it seems that after 4 or 5 packets the connection or session just dies

you can ping a machine from the branch office to the head office with hundreds of packets with a size of 1000 bytes and there is no packet loss.

None of the leased lines involved are running errors.

and both branches connect to a Cisco Pix 506E on the inside interface of the firewall, so my understanding is that the firewall should not interfere?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
Lyndonl

ok here is an update

I have enabled telnet on the server in the HO

If I telnet to the server from the branch office either via a machine in the branch office of via the branch offices Cisco 805 the connection is fine for a few characters then hangs

if I telnet to the server using the clients VRF from our MPLS router the telsnet session is perfect

Any ideas on where the problem might be.

lyndonl,

This sounds like an MTU issue to me. Try dropping the interface MTU down on the interfaces involved in the connection. You can also set the MTU in the Windows Cisco VPN client.

I had the exact same problem with RDP over the VPN client and MTU was the issue.

When you are testing the pings, use the "-f" flag (in windows) so that the router wont fragment the packet. Then you will see just how big a packet the network can handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back