Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Odd Phone Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

phonechic

Technical User
Feb 5, 2002
US
I have a user assigned to a 6408. The user has complained of intermittent problems including, phone won't realease a call, can't answer a call, no dial tone when hand set is picked up - user has to hit the switch hook a few times to get dial tone, can't see time and date. I have tried the following steps: replace phone and cord to jack, deleted phone from programming and rebuilt, changed ports (to a different card), re-cross-connected in the wiring closet, tried both the blue/white and the orange/white pair on the jack, TTIed the phone on the neighbors jack. When the problem first started, she had a 6416 phone, but programming stated a 6408. Any suggestions?

My next step would be to take the phone into the equipment room, punch down a jack directly to the system port and test the phone. Sounds like the only thing remaining is the house cable from the equipt room. Wire problems can cause strange symptoms.
Having a 6416 phone on a port programmed for a 6408 will not cause any damage.

I was going to say the same thing about the wiring from the jack to the phone room block--but you said you TTI'd it to the neighbors jack or to a neighboring jack on the same faceplate? If the two cables are run in the same bundle they may both be chafed and shorting out.----other wise--I would say that phone is possesed and try another 6408 on the jack

To get more clues on the problem, and pinpoint the solution, you need to do a "display errors" command for sta XXXX....(XXXX stands for the extension number of the phone in question).

The errors can then be looked up in the maintenance manual or Avaya Web site for that switch type, under digital station error codes.

You can also "test station" or "test port" and look at those error codes...

Bajashark

I would do everything listed here starting with 'display errors'. Then once you know what, if any, errors are occuring wire the phone directly to the port. Let it sit there for a while and check your errors again. If the problem persists replace the phone and check again. If the problem persists with the new phone change the port.

If the problem clears on the first try at the MDF, replace the cross connect and move to the intermediate distribution. Wire the phone directly to the intermediate frame. Let it sit there and check errors again. If the problem clears then you're looking at an issue with the horizontal cable, if the problem persists you are looking at an issue with the house cable. If the horizontal cable I would try replacing the jack first and then the cable if house cable just change the pair it distributes on.

I know some of this duplicates effort you have already made but with wiring issues the key is to be strictly methodical in your madness.

I have heard of the lost time issue before. If the phone and port are good it is usally in the house cable. Often long hauls or house cable with too many legs is just too much copper connected to the port. If there are multiple legs blow that pair out of a few legs. I have noticed often that just because you have continuity it doesn't mean a DCP set will work correctly. I often use a fresh 1000ft box of wire with a jack on the end just to make sure the port/card is pushing distance like it should be. Don't try to understand cable problems ... it takes years ... just work around them.

On the extrememly odd chance it is software related ... after your remove the troubled station, add a dummy station. Then re-add your needed extension. Lastly, remove the dummy extension. If this works contact Avaya.

You got a release 9.2?

Seems to be aproblem in that release. Upgrade to 9.5 is free and it seems that the problems are resoveld in that one. Plan your work............Work your plan

[afro]

Does anyone know what release you have to be at to download firmware onto 6400 series phones???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back