Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Odd IDE behavior in Windows7 64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedsmith

Programmer
Nov 23, 2000
AU
I have noticed an odd behavior of the VB6 IDE in Windows 7 64 bit (8 core i7 3.4ghz) and wondered if others have the same problem.

1. Shapes can't be made transparent so you can't just see a dotted border.

2. Selecting multiple controls on a form with a view to dragging them about together is very sluggish. Some objects in the group don't even show as selected (no little blips on their edges) even though they are and they do move when you execute the move. This makes it hard to see what has been really selected.

3 It a few seconds for say 5 selected objects to move to their new positions when you release the mouse button . On XP this was instant.

The app in the IDE and the final exe run lightning fast with no problems.

I have the IDE set to compatibility mode and as an administrator.

All I do when running vb6 under win7 and 8.1 is;
Run as administrator and
Use a non Aero display theme e.g. via Right click on Desktop, Personalize, select 'Windows 7 Basic'

There should be an appcompat option to "Disable Desktop Composition" on VB6.exe, which means when you run it Aero is temporarily disabled.

Thanks
I selected the Classic view and it fixed the sluggishness but the problem with not being able to select transparent shape still remains.

>I have noticed an odd behavior of the VB6 IDE in Windows 7

I just run it in XP mode ...

You might want to get over that.

Windows XP Mode

Important

After April 8, 2014, technical support for Windows XP and Windows XP Mode will no longer be available, including updates that help protect your PC. This means that if you continue to use Windows XP or use Windows XP Mode on a Windows 7 PC after support ends, your PC might become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses. Therefore, to keep your Windows 7 PC secure after April 8, 2014, we recommend that you only use Windows XP Mode if your PC is disconnected from the Internet. Learn more about Windows XP end of support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back