Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Odd folder: "Copy of Windows" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwbrick

Technical User
Mar 14, 2002
US
My wife's XP has a folder on the root drive called "copy of windows". It is not a copy of the Windows folder but a folder with that name containing 14MB in 8 subfolders and 90 files. Anybody know what this is for or where it might have come from?

Rod B.

Sounds like someone has had a mouse fumble on the Windows folder, it began to copy and then it was cancelled leaving a partial copy but probably missing most of the essential files.

Do any of the files in the "copy of windows" folder match those in the Windows folder ? If so, you can probably delete it.

Another test could be to rename the "copy of windows" folder to something else and see if any applications scream when files can't be found.

indeed - I do it all the time cause I tend to sometimes do things faster than the PC and end up with a COPY of - mainly when I am selecting multiple items.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

What is the date of some of the files? Has this computer had a re-installation, or repair installation? This sounds like the typical directory you get when Windows is upgraded.

Through the years, and OS repair's, I've seen it listed both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back