Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

odd Behavior with my 2924XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

cclark983

MIS
Apr 10, 2001
US
I have a cisco 2924 XL and its having problems with taking a very long time to telnet & ftp to other machines on it.

Here's the basic setup:

switch: 192.168.46.1
Sun Sparc 20: 192.168.46.10
Sun Ultra 1: 192.168.46.11

Whenever the 2 Sun machines try and telnet or ftp, it takes ~80 seconds before I get a response, and then they work fine. Yet when either of them telnets to the Switch, it comes up instantly. Also they work instantly connecting to each other when connected on my our old xyplex hub. Anyone have any ideas why this might be happening? Thanks

Which flavor of IOS are you running on this switch? Sounding like a bad record, upgrade it to the latest IOS. THis would be a prime task for a sniffer to see what exactly is hitting the switch from the Sparc and what leaves the switch.

MikeS
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

I upgraded the IOS from 12.0(5.2) to 12.0(5.3), still have the same problem, will try the sniffer and see what it comes up with.

corey

Have you checked the ports for any error counts? A switch and a hub both are layer two.. the big difference is the switch is a bunch of little bridges.. one for each port so the rules apply to both. Do you have portfast on? Have you done anything with the keepalives? The 80 seconds sound like the CAM entries are aging out or the swtich is trying to play with spanning tree..why? good questions ;-).. the switch is trying to setup the connection each time?.. the Sparcs want to send large packets( need the sniff for this..)

I'm just throwing ideas out that *might* have something to do with this or give a hint where the issue might be.

Just FYI- I have several sparcs running off these switches without a problem.

I'm assuming the switch is clean.. no vlans, no tricks, etc?

MikeS
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back