Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

odd befsr41 prob (ping/forwarding)

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulofmischief

Technical User
Apr 21, 2003
US
had all the below up and running perfectly before i moved. moved, plugged everything in, and no go.

ive got quite a strange problem that i originally thought was an xp sp2 problem, well it still didn't work after a reformat. befsr41 v3

2 boxes on the lan, ones xp pro (sp1 currently and; sp2, everything in the security center was off), the other is a w2k3 box that is running iis and argosoft mail,nothing else. both are 192.168.1.x, default subnet, WORKGROUP. both machines can ping the router, and get online just fine. the server can ping the xp box, but i cant ping the server from the xp box(unless i use rdc from the server to the xp box, then it pings fine). it just rto's.

if i ping my mail addy/website from a command prompt it resolves to the correct external ip, but once again no pings return, just time out.

things ive already tried:
multiple cat5 patch cables
multiple NIC's
reformat of the xp box
reset befsr41/redo all forwarding

they only piece of equipment that i havent taken out of the equation is the befsr41, as i dont have anything to replace it with.

sorry for the long winded post, and i hope i dont have a dead router!!!

do'h! forgot to mention... my website and my email that is on the w2k3 box is not working. they are running but the web page 404's, and the email times out looking for the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back