Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBE connection over network drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

lambert27407

Technical User
Jun 30, 2011
US
The project I am working on is a standard database tool(pull data from tables/add data to tables). I am unable to get access to a sql server so I am using an access dbs on a shared network drive for all of my tables(not ideal but its what im working with).

I can require everyone who will use the application to set that specific drive to a certain drive letter and have the connection setup as a local drive but what I would like to do is setup my connection so that it dose not reference a specific drive letter in my app.config file but to the network location which that drive letter would refer to.

Is this possible? If so how?

Please be gentle I am a very novice programmer.

If you do not want to use the direct path, then you would have to use a UNC path (providing your application supports this method), which is in the form of:
\\ComputerName\SharedFolder\Resource

I hope this helps.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving wasn't meant for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back