Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

odbc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alebaez

Programmer
Jan 23, 2002
PY
I'm thinking about using IB6 and VB6, could you tell me wich is the best free ODBC driver available.

Hmm not sure about the ODBC status and interbase alebaez, but are u sure you want to use VB6 ?

If you get a chance - please check out Delphi, its the perfect partner for Interbase (a true OO component-based development platform.) It has native controls for interacting with Interbase.

Cheers..
Opp.

I agree with Oppenhiemer, with odbc connections you have the weakest link to the database. When you install Interbase it provides an odbc driver.
You should try Delphi for the following reasons:

Interbase and Delphi are both from borland thus you will get the most of interbase with Delphi or Borland C++, etc.

Delphi got native controls for Interbase that directly work with the API (application programming interface) of Interbase

With the Datapump Utility you can convert your data from interbase to any other RDBMS (oracle , sql server) and your front-end application only need to point to the new database to run.

There are far more reasons I could find to use Delphi over VB, but I only focussed on the combination delphi x interbase

S. van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

I want To Use Crystal Reports With Interbase But I Cannot Get It to Connect Using The XTG ODBC. I Can Use Another ODBC From Gemini and Works Fine But The Gemini ODBC is a trial and they want Lotsa Moola For The Retail.Are There Any Other Free ODBC Drivers Out There That Could Be Compatable with Crystal Reports 7?

How I can get access up to the Firebird Database using microsoft ODBC drivers using scripting technology(VB Script or JavaScript)

Example do not work:
Dim Source
Dim Connect
Dim Rs1

Source = "SELECT * FROM tbl1"
Connect = "Data Source=ds1;Initial Catalog=/home/db1.gdb;User Id=user;Password=pass;"

Set Rs1 = CreateObject( "ADODB.Recordset" )
Rs1.Open Source, Connect, adOpenForwardOnly

I've got next error:
[INTERSOLV] [ODBC InterBase Driver] Optional Feature not Implemented
Code: 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back