Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC to AIX DB2 (I know...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

progenysend

Technical User
Feb 15, 2008
US
Hi All,

I'm sure this one's been beat into the ground, but I can't find a good answer. I'll start this off by saying I'm a Business Objects and Crystal developer. I'm not good with databases and I know nothing of Unix or Linux.

I've got Business Objects on a Windows 7 machine.
I've got a db2 database on the network on an AIX machine.
I've installed the DB2 ODBC driver on my machine.

I can't get the ODBC to work at all. I can't even figure out where to put the IP Address and Port or anything. The end result I need is to connect Business Objects to this db2. The easiest way I know to connect anything to Business Objects is ODBC.

I've read the IBM documents on DB2 ODBC and about every post I can find, but it's just not doing it for me. My DBA's say they can't help me because they don't know Windows. Really I just need some step by step idiot instructions. I appreciate any help you can send my way.

Thanks

Suggest you find and talk with whoever supports db2 on aix. Are these the same dbs'a who say they don't know Windows?

Someone should know how to connect to db2 on aix . . .

Yep. Same guys. I'm a contractor and I've only been around 6 days. I'm not really getting much help.

While I was not able to set up the odbc yet, loading the client got me the drivers I needed to create the aliases I needed to connect directly with Crystal Reports DB2 connector. Thanks for the tip, mikrom.

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Data Sources (ODBC)

opens the ODBC Data Source Adminstrator.

Open the System DSN Tab

ADD the DB2 driver. This dialog is where you add the Host, Port, UID, Password and any other required property selections. You might also look at the Advanced settings and MORE.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

suppose you have a db2 server with tcipip# 192.168.1.100 and a db2instance listening to port 50000. There is a database called mydbase running under control of that instance. You need te access that database by means of ODBC.
It is just 3 simple lines, just do not forget to execute them in the "db2cmd" box an not in the normal cmd windows shell:
Code:
db2 -v "catalog tcpip node mydbnode remote  192.168.1.100 server 50000" 
db2 -v "catalog   database mydbase  at node mydbnode"   
db2 -v "catalog system odbc data source     mydbase"
That's all folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back