Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC PASSTHROUGH QUERY / SQL HELP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxxev

Technical User
Jul 17, 2008
NL
Hi, we have a query running out of Navision into access, this query was setup by someone on site who is presently on holiday....
A shortcut was taken to fix one issue but it has caused another, so in his absence i'm trying to fix the problem.

We have a field being cut down to 3 characters using:
Code:
Left([table].[field],3) as ING
The problem is if that field begins with "X" we need it to NOT be cut down to 3 characters, using an IIF code I could have fixed this, but I understand the SQL for ODBC will not accept IIF code (after trying for a couple of hours :().

Can anyone please suggest an alternative option (I tried some "CASE, THEN, ELSE" code but that didn't work either (might have just been me though). I am ok at databases i'm not so great at SQL.

Thank you.

SQL Passthrough should work with the database dialect, so that should do it in T-SQL:
Code:
SELECT ...
CASE 
   WHEN Left([table].[field],1)='X' 
   THEN [table].[field] 
   ELSE Left([table].[field],3) 
END as ING
FROM [table] ...

Bye, Olaf.

Hi thank you for the suggestion, very similar to the code I tried before (exceopt I missed the ,1 from the when line).

This brings up the following error:

ODBC--Call failed
[microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Incorrect Syntax near 'Table'. (#102)

I have sorted it out now me being daft (I left the comma off the end (there is another field below)).

All working now.

Thank you very much for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back