Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC Microsoft Paradox Driver "Net Dir" will not accept a mapped drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amerrifi05

Programmer
Nov 21, 2011
ODBC Microsoft Paradox Driver "Net Dir" will not accept a mapped drive, has anyone ran into this before?

Hi, I am new to these forums. I posed this question in the ODBC section because it is not related to any specific language. However, if you must know the company I work for uses primarily CFML / Coldfusion / OpenBD / Railio.

I am interfacing with a proprietary Paradox software through ODBC. I am able to access the table structure while no other client is using the software. However, I am not able to access the software while another client is using the software.

Firstly a bit of background to the problem. The paradox PDOXUSRS.NET and PARADOX.NET (one or the other not both) files are what hold the key to the locked files (*.lck). If using a network setup with paradox/BDE (which this application does use BDE 3.2), you must access the PDOXUSRS.NET file from the same mapped drive on each client connection. So what I have done is install openBD (web CFML language like Coldfusion) on the server, and then setup an ODBC connection to the paradox tables. I then mapped a loopback network drive to the pdoxusers.net file (\\127.0.0.1\$i). I have set in the registry key for the ODBC DSN .net file location (after reading this post: this location is supposed to interface with the pdoxusers.net file and the .lck files respectively. I have tried the following values in the registry .net path setting to no avail:
1. i:2. i:
3. \\127.0.0.1\$i

The mapped network drive was not working. So I then searched out other way to map a network drive and possible make the drive appear to be local instead of mapped. I came up with the windows command subst to make the network loopback appear local, and this also did not work. I searched why and people say that subst is not a good way to map drives, so i gave up on subst.

I cannot figure out how to make this .net location a mapped drive or the likes. I spent 12 hours today at work, and no avail? anyone have a better way I am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
-Alex

P.S. this was using the default 32bit version of microsoft's odbc driver (.db) for paradox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back