Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC Login & Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvena

Technical User
Aug 5, 2005
US
Hi, I just read the message posted by georgesone and I have a very similar question. I also have a database with linked tables. The difference is I want my database to prompt for the ODBC login and password. It is doing that now but it is prompting only when I try to access one of the linked tables. I would like it to prompt me when I open the database and not when I access the linked tables. I would also like to set security based on that login so that only the SA has rights to modify the database/tables/forms.

Kelly

With any luck you are trying to use SQL Server and you can just use windows authentication and skip the login altogether. What database are you trying to connect to?

The only way that jumps out at me to change the user and password is to set the connect property of all the related objects. You could use a form to get the username and password and then update the connect property.

I tend to use ADP's so I have dodged the bullet since DAO but if memory servers you have to set the connect property of the tabledef object and then use a method to refresh the table something like refreshlink.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back