Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC Import Problem with DateTime

Status
Not open for further replies.

presley2

Programmer
Dec 3, 2005
US
Hi,
I have a MySQL table on a MacOSX 10.4 server and Filemaker Pro Server 7. I am using the "Actual Technologies" ODBC driver for this project. I have a number of fields I am trying to import from MySQL into a client FM DB.

The Problem:
Two of the MySQL fields are formatted as DATETIME and they serve as a creation and update AUTO-ENTER fields using the NOW() MySQL function. The fields are auto filled with a string that looks like this 20060125132456 (yr, m, d, hr, sec) ....when using the FM ODBC importer these two fields import and look like this 365: 12: 23 .....all other import fields work perfectly..I have tried changing around FM field types...nothing seems to work ...I would like it if the fields were imported either as a text string (just like MySQL) or with FM DateTime formatting...

Is there an EZ solution?
Is there a workaround?
Is there a product I can buy (ODBC) that will greatly simplify communication back/forth between FM and MySQL and will resolve these field type differences automatically?

Thanks,
Jim E

if you predefine your field they should be formated as text
it has been a while...but I belive you can 'un-compund' the text field by Count/trim
so theory would be:

fulldate_imported=20060125132456
yrs_calculated=Count/trim 4 first characters
month_calcualted=Count/trim 2 after 4

etc.
sorry I don't remmeber exact function of how FM "counts/trims" from left to right
let me know how it works out...maybe a good excuse for me to load FM again :)
All the best!

:--------------------------------------------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

All around in my home town,
They tryin' to track me down...

It's parsing.

If your datestamp field is text, with always the same amount of characters in the same order, try something along these lines

Datestamp (text) = 20050125131532
year = calc result nr: Left(datestamp;4) -> result 2005
month = calc result nr: Middle(datestamp;5;2) -> 01
day = calc result nr:Middle(datestamp;7;2) -> 25
hour = calc result nr:Middle(datestamp;9;2) -> 13
min = calc result nr:Middle(datestamp;11;2) -> 15
sec = calc result nr:Right(datestamp;2) -> 32

From this point on you can start with combinations to rebuilt the date and time in FM readable values.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back