Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC file access using FTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantomguitarist

Programmer
Feb 9, 2007
GB
I need to connect to a database hosted on our webserver (Currently MySQL but can be any type) from my local machine using a ODBC connection. The local connection must use a ODBC because of the program I am using.

Unfortunately, our service provider is being very slow in unblocking port 3306 and I think they are reluctant to do it.

What I need to know is there another way I could access the database say using a file based database but have the ODBC connect to it using FTP. Probably doesn't exist but just wondered.

Regards

PG

If your provider allows secure shell (SSH), then you can set up a tunnel using one of the several SSH clients available.

The tunnel makes the ODBC app think it is talking to localhost:3306 (using MyODBC on Windows), and SSH tunnels that to the remote machine. You then have to configure MySQL to take things from localhost:3306 but that is already typical for many/most MySQL setups.

This thread, thread436-1012132, has some links.

Tom Morrison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back