Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

raul75

MIS
Jan 3, 2005
DE
hello,

we are a health insurance company in germany trying to access a teradata database for our data warehouse.
We allready have access to this Database using the BI-Hummingbird frontend which connects the Database
using WINCLI. Now we are trying to connect the Database over NCR ODBC-Driver v. 3.03.00.06.
Since we build our warehous with the MS Sql Server 2000 Database we dont´t have any experience in
connecting to a teradata database. When we try to connect to the Database via ODBC, we get as far, that we are
able to see the different Tables we can access (We are using MS Access 2000 to test the ODBC Connection).
But when we really select a table to build the connection we get an Error saying that we do not have
enough rights for accessing this Database. "...The user do not have SELECT access to DBC.Colums. (#-3523)"
The hosting Company of the Database tells us that all the users have select priveleges which are enough for
access the Database via BI-Hummingbird and they do not support an ODBC-Connection.

Now I have the following Questions:

1. Do I really have to access the Database using the ODBC / OLEDB or can I also use the WINCLI Client?
2. What could be the reason for our Problems acsessing the Teradata Database?

In order to use MS Access with Teradata two things must be done.

First: users must be given select rights to DBC.TablesX and DBC.ColumnsX.

Second: the "Use X Views" check box must be check in the advance ODBC values for the DSN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back