Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh6273

Programmer
Nov 13, 2001
US
Hi all -

I am having some trouble accessing a Crystal Report through my application using the BDE accessing a Paradox database, and I am thoroughly confused as to why this might be happening. When I run the report from within Crystal, it works fine, but when I run it through my BCB5 application, I get the following error in my ODBC trace:

szSQLState: "S1000"
szErrorMessage: "[Microsoft][ODBC Paradox Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you n eed permission to view its data."
NativeErrorCode: -1032

My hunch is that this is somehow related to a strangeness in the BDE because I was able to get this working for a period last week. I found that there were a couple of fields in one of my tables that were not defined in my application, so I added them to the database definition, rebuilt/re-ran the application and ran the report. It worked just fine. So, I opened up Database Desktop to go through each of my tables to ensure that all of the fields were defined, and I then started getting corrupted index errors on all of my tables. After wasting alot of time trying to resolve that issue, I decided to reboot the machine. After the reboot, I could then access the tables, but the inital report problem returned. I'm stumped. Does anyone have any clue what might be happening here?

Thanks,
Josh

Josh,

Sounds like your application is using a native connection,
and it opens the database exclusively - which will not allow the Crystal to access the database.

Try using the native connection that is installed with the application - you should find that a Borland Engine has been installed on your machine. Use this to run the report.

Hope this helps

paulmarr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back