Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC Drivers for Access and SQL Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTR

Programmer
Dec 16, 1998
AU
I have a SQL Server database and use Access as a front-end. <br>
When setting up the ODBC drivers we selected System rather than Machine data source. We need to access the database from more than one client workstation. We have found that the connection to the SQL Server database can only be made from the machine and the login at which the ODBC connection was initially set up.<br>
Could anyone please tell me how to set up the ODBC connection for access from more than one workstation, and more than one login?<br>
<br>
Thanks very much, RTR

I think you want to choose SQL Server login in the DNS setup wizard. This will cause the user to have to log in to SQL server. If you have permissions set up for users/groups on SQL Server then the user should be able to log in as a user or group regardless of whether you specified Machine or System and regardless of what machine they are on. If you're trying to store the userID/password so that each user never sees the DNS login screen, then you may have to hard code a userID/password in the windows registry as one other respondent recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back