Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC Connections in a network

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordOfCode

Programmer
Feb 26, 2000
US
Is there any way I don't have to implement ODBC connections in each client machine to connect to SQL-Server Database in Windows NT Network?

You'll have to establish an ODBC connection to connect your VFP to SQL Server. But you don't need to create DSN (data source name) entries on each client. You can use the SQLSTRINGCONNECT function and pass it a complete connection string.

However, if I also want to use remote views I must set an ODBC Connection, otherwise I'd have to program all the necesary code to make the resulsets updatable. I expected that maybe there was another way to do it. <p>Edwin Dalorzo<br><a href=mailto:edalorzo@hotmail.com>edalorzo@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Well, as I said, you'll ALWAYS need an ODBC connection, but you don't necessarily need a Windows DSN, even with remote views.<br>
<br>
Unlike SQL pass-through, a remote view will require a named connection in your DBC. But you can create a named connection by specifying &quot;connection string&quot; and entering the same criteria as you would put for SQLSTRINGCONNECT(); if you specify everything, including the driver, you won't need to create a Windows DSN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back