Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdb1978

Programmer
Nov 8, 2001
US
I have installed MS SQL 2000 on a 2000 advanced Server. I have also installed the client tools on an NT 4.0 machine and am trying to connect to the server. I go into the ODBC connection setup and under system dsn I try to add a connection to the Server. I give it a name and choose the server instance of SQL, select authentication mode and when I click on next the NT machine just sits with an hour glass. I get the same results when trying to register the Server instance of SQL on the NT machine. Anyone have any ideas? Am I missing a setup options somewhere?

On the second window of the series of dialog boxes, there's a Client Configuration button. Click on that. What is your network library set to?

You should have a Client Network Utility app in your SQL Server program group.

If you run the Client Network Utility app, it's one window with 4 tabs. The first tab, General, shows the enabled protocols. So TCP/IP should be enabled. The second tab is Server Alias. Sometimes you have to define your server there...I forget when/why. I'm sure others know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back