Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC Connection...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRHatBSSS

IS-IT--Management
Dec 22, 2005
US
Hello all!

I need to create an ODBC connection (for data mining purposes). Problem is, the SQL server resides in a different domain. Long story… In short is a separate domain from the “main” firm wide AD (no trusts in place), just a few individuals will access that file / data server through a wireless connection. I can connect to the server through its IP (copy / delete files, etc), however the server is not listed on the “Which Server do you want to connect to” window when I try to create a new ODBC connection (System DSN connection). I already tried using the IP address there (\\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) instead of the server name but to no avail.

I know I’m messing up somewhere. Anybody has suggestions / hints? All help is welcome.

L.R. Humberto

If you don't know where you are going to, doesn't matter how fast you are going, you'll never get there.

Start with this FAQ on verifying your connection to the SQL Server faq962-5481.

To make it easier to connect to you can always add a static entry (or have a domain admin do it) into the local domains DNS servers so that name resolution will work.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back