Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC Connection to BTR files

Status
Not open for further replies.

BikashPanda

Programmer
Mar 26, 2002
US
Hello,
I went thru most discussions here & tried few ways mentioned. But I am still with out a result.
Here is my situation. I need to read a bunch of .btr files OUTPUTed by one application and use the data somewhere else. I am not sure what version of btrieve r they(could not fig out how to check that). I wish to use ODBC (& can use something else if reqd). I installed Pervasive 2000i and can use it's own ODBC driver. But how do I import all my BTR files into that. I tried importing, but I did not see any better way to import all at once. It expects me to get the BTR files one by one (I guess it updates the index.ddf, file.ddf, fields.ddf during that process)

I would highly appreciate if someone could guide me (or point me to some info in the web)

Thanks,
Bikash

What do you want to do with the data once you connect to it via OBDC? The answer to that question will most likely dictate what tool to use. Software Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

Thanks dgillz,
I plan to use the data I retrieve from BTrieve thru ODBC in another FoxPro application. Basically there is no link between BTrieve & that FoxPro application so I just need to read certain data & update the foxpro db in a batch process. I found the BTrieve version being used is 7.0

I would highly appreciate any info on this.

Thanks,

Bikash

I would create link tables in MS Access to both your Btrieve and FoxPro tables. Then write an update query in Access to update the FoxPro tables accordingly.

If you have any problems getting pervasive ODBC drivers to work let me know.

Software Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

Hello dgillz,
Yes. My problem primerily is reading data out of 66 BTR files. I am able to import each file one by one after creating a new table in Pervasive 2000i, but it looses the field title (do I have to name those manually as there is no DDF) & I think some data look encripted. Is there a better way to have data access thru ODBC? I am able to have the Pervasive ODBC working but getting all these BTR files into Pervasive engine is the problem.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Bikash

BikashPanda where did you find the drivers.. I need to do the same thing with btr files and Microsoft Access 2k. I would love to find the drivers for this.. Please direct me to the valid website to download the drivers needed to read btr files.

Thanks
David Severns
dbaseinc@aol.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back