Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC connection problem in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

alicemong

Programmer
Mar 20, 2003
HK
Hi,

In my application, I use odbc to connect visual foxpro 2.0 tables which were created in DOS. My application can work fine in win98 and win2000. However, when I install my application in winXP, my application cannot make ODBC connection with the foxpro 2.0 database. I have install the ODBC Driver(6.1.8629.1) in the winXP, but my application still cannot make connection with the foxpro database.

Does anyone have any idea to solve this problem?
Any responses will be appreciated.

Thanks
Alice

Yeah

I have the same problem. I was trying to solve this problem but I had any Luck.

I have found somethink that maybe have somethink to do with it.
I found out that this may occur when you have for example more Database engines. For example if you have installed BDE on your PC so ODBC with FoxPro dont has to work correctly on XP or W2000.

I have one PC with ME and 1 with ME and one with 2000. On first machine it works but on these other ones it dont work.

I tried to reinstall ODBC, changing drivers but without chance.

alicemong

Have you tried SET COMPATIBLE FOXPLUS, are try to use the tables directly, instead of using the ODBC driver? You can also remove the prompt.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Alice,
As Mike is hinting at, why do you need to use the ODBC drivers to open Fox 2x tables? VFP can natively handle these with not problems. I'm running XP Pro, and don't have problems with 2x tables in VFP 5 SP3, 6 SP5, 7 SP1, 8.

Perhaps you can explain a bit more about what you are doing, and your VFP environment (Version and SP level).

Rick

Alice,
Are you running a VFP app or a non-FoxPro app?

Dave S.
[cheers]

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion. In fact, I am writing a VB application which needs to connect a visual foxpro database to get some information. Therefore, I use odbc to connect the foxpro database.

Alice

Alice,
I think you'll find that in general, FoxPro programmers rarely, if ever, access FoxPro data through the VFP ODBC drivers. I just tried creating a VFP view on a 2x .DBF using the VFP ODBC driver under VFP 8.0 on XP Pro, and it seems to work just fine.

However, you'll probably get better responses in other forums (VB?) when asking about their specific environment requirements.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back