Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC Connection Failure Access DB on Network Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertIngles

Technical User
Jan 20, 2011
CA
Hi all;

I have an Access DB that I have copied from my workstation to a network drive for others to view the data. The tables in the DB are linked to a SQL DB. Users trying to open the data from the network get an ODBC--Connection to 'xxxx' failed.

I have created the ODBC connection for system DSN vs users DSN thinking it would solve the problem however no go. Looking back on previous posts it looks like at one time the ODBC connection had to be set up on each workstation individually - is this still the case? When I open the DB on the network share from my workstation it works fine. Is there any way to "globalize" the ODBC so that the DB can be copied to any location on the network and still have it connect to the SQL DB?

Thanks!!

Hi,

What is the Connection String?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Thanks for answering Skip:

ConnectionString="Data Source=CGYDB11509\SQLPRD44;Initial Catalog=AMProDB;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=AppManagerProUser;Password=XxXxXx!

sorry, nothing I can add to what you posted.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

No Provider in this connection string ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Sorry - I'm thinking use of the work 'globalize' may have muddied the waters. No provider as the db is in an enterprise environment corp network. It is on a network share. The challenge is that I can open forms and run queries from my desktop where I designed the db however if another user tries to open a form from a desktop other than mine they get the ODBC Connection Failed message. I am trying to avoid having to go to the workstation of each user I want to be able to use the DB/view data having to define the ODBC connection to the SQL server that hosts the tables I am linking to.

You should create a file DSN and link the tables via the file. Just make sure you click the "Save Password" checkbox when linking the tables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back