Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ODBC - call failed (error 3146)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctudose

Programmer
Nov 22, 2001
CA
I have an Access97 application:
The front-end is developed in Access97 and the back-end is SQL Server 2000(I migrated all the tables from Access 97 to SQL)
When I try to modify/update a record after a while I’ve got ODBC-call failed (Error 3146)
I’m not sure , but it seems that the error is caused by a field type ntext (on Access 97 it was Memo)
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Cris

I have a Microsoft Access 2000 database that opens recordsets using a string that references DB2 tables. The OpenRecordset is returning 3146 ODBC call failed errors at about 60 seconds.

First, is this a connection timeout? Second, if so, is there a way to increase the connection timeout limit?

If I am heading down the wrong road in resolving this error, what would you recommend?

I think that my problem was Access 97; the ODBC connectivity doesn't work properly from within Access 97
I've changed to Access 2000 and it worked.
But , if you create for example a SQL-PAS Through Query go to View->Properties->ODBC Timeout
Hope this help
Good Luck
Cris

I am currently using Access2000. I am using it to perform custom functions drawing data from our ERP system (Visual Foxpro 8). With the latest upgrade of our ERP system, Access is indicating an error code 3146 ODBC - Call failed. How do I find out what this error mean? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back