Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OCX files on client

Status
Not open for further replies.

BasicBoy

Programmer
Feb 22, 2008
ZA
When I install my solution and its dependency files on the server, and I make a shortcut to a client computer, it raises an error on the client computer to the effect that the .ocx files are not correctly registered or a file is missing or invalid.
I had thought, probably erroneously, that only the computer which runs the solution needs these files.
If that is so, I need to install those dependency files also on the client computers.
I do not understand why this is so - can someone please help.

You've kinda answered your own question:

...and I make a shortcut to a client computer...

...I had thought, probably erroneously, that only the computer which runs the solution needs these files

The shortcut may indeed point to a file or executable that exists on another machine, but the machine you invoke the shortcut on runs the executable and is complaining that it cannot find the necessary file(s).

There is more than one way to skin a cat...but who wants a skinned cat?

A file server is not a server in the sense the programs stored there run there. Instead the program runs locally, after fetching (and re-fetching) parts of the program code from the file server.

This is not a recommended practice, but if required the PE files (EXE, OCX, DLL) should be marked "run from network" to optimize network traffic and run properly.

/SWAPRUN (Load Linker Output to Swap File)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back