Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Octel System Manager Broadcast message

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurrB

Technical User
Apr 22, 2008
US
We have a CA Sierra/Octel Software Level 2.20.31-3, which we are migrating off of in a couple weeks. We would like to send a Broadcast message out to the remaining mailboxes as a reminder of the migration a couple days in advance.

I do see a couple system manager mailboxes with Type of 0 and a COS of 64. Would we be able to use one of these to create this? If so, any idea of what steps would need to be taken? One other issue is that these were created by someone that is no longer with the company, so I have no passwords for them. I am ASSUMING I can just go in and reset the password...just hate to do something wrong when we are THIS close to moving off the platform

Thanks in advance for your assistance,
Mary

Normally the password you are using to enter the Octel is the same as either the Primary or Secondary managers mailbox. You can use either mailbox to send a broadcast message by going into the mailbox and entering 9,1

SoTel Systems/BSL Telephony Services
Tommy Bolden

Thanks so much! The system password worked on the system mailboxes...now to find someone to record the broadcast.

Thanks again Tommy!

Hey Tommy!

My boss is wondering if there are specific instructions....and what the exact sequence would be? He would also like to know if we will have a chance to listen and re-record before sending? Are there any instructions in the documents. the only ones that we have are SierraCA V3_2. I found instructions for a bulletin under Sierra/CA System Manager Manual V3.2 Volume III, Procedures..not finding anything real specific for the System Manager Broadcast.. which I believe is what he is asking for.

Again, you assistance is greatly appreciated,
Mary

You just listen to the instructions when you go to that menu and you can also dial 0 for more help

Creating System Broadcast Messages
You can create and send a system broadcast message automatically to every subscriber. System
broadcast messages, unlike regular messages, are not delivered to the main part of subscriber
mailboxes. Instead, subscribers hear the system broadcast message immediately after they enter
their passwords. Subscribers cannot skip, interrupt, or save a system broadcast message; however,
they can listen to it again by pressing 1. They must press 2 to erase the message before they can
continue to use their Main Menus.
Because subscribers cannot interrupt or skip system broadcast messages, use them sparingly. The
maximum length of a system broadcast message is 1 minute, which you cannot change. Whenever
possible, use a system distribution list or a bulletin broadcast message to send a message to
multiple subscribers.
There can be only one system broadcast message at one time. An existing system broadcast
message is deleted automatically when a new one is recorded. System broadcast messages can
only be sent to subscriber mailbox types 0, 11, 22, 28, 51, 53, 54, 58, and 60. System broadcast
messages cannot be sent to application mailbox types 1–7, 10, 12, 29–35, 40, 45, or 61.
Sending a System Broadcast Message
To send a system broadcast message, enter the following key sequence on your touch-tone
keypad and record a message:
9 > 1 > 2 > Record message > #
Because system broadcast messages are not delivered into the message part of subscriber
mailboxes, this type of message is not included in the total number of messages that a mailbox
can accommodate. A system broadcast message does not activate a message-waiting indication.
System broadcast messages do not appear in subscriber mailboxes added after you sent the
message.
Reviewing a System Broadcast Message
Only one system broadcast message can be in effect at any one time. To review the existing
system broadcast message in the system manager mailbox, press the following keys on your
touch-tone keypad:
9 > 1 > 1

Deleting a System Broadcast Message
To delete a system broadcast message from the system manager mailbox, press the following
keys on your touch-tone keypad:
9 > 1 > 3

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

Thanks Ken. Well, someone recorded the broadcast message today, so we were trying to test to make sure that it was dispersed, by dialing the access number, the # sign, entered the 10 digit number of a test line mailbox and then entering our password.....but all that it states are the existing messages. according to the directions above it should play right after the password is input. I can call INTO the system manager mailbox and hear the greeting that was recorded just fine. Are we missing some feature perhaps?? (The manager mailbox has a class of svc 64 and mailbox type 0).

Thanks again!
Mary

If it is not heard then they did not record it properly is all i can think of. Did you record it ? were you there when they recorded it ?

I have never seen one fail if it is set right.

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

No sorry it was done in another city. I will check with my boss again and see if he can listen in while the person does the recording!

As always appreciate your assistance. After this migration on Friday...I promise I will stop bugging you :) !

Thanks,
Mary

When you say "hear the greeting" It sounds like the person recorded the mailbox greeting for the system managers mailbox, not a broadcast message. Just follow the instructions above, press 9 from the main menu. Do not press 4, then 3 to record the mailbox greeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back