Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Octel not asking for password when using "message" key to access mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

anniec

Programmer
Jul 9, 2007
US
Hi. I don't know Octel very well and have not been able to figure out why this Octel is answering but not asking for password. When dialing the Octel it answers with the main greeting instead of the system asking for password. Also, they cannot press 7 to delete a message until the end of the message. The ports look like they are programmed correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What type of telephone system are you using. What type of Octel system?

Does this happen to all users, or just a few?

What does the user do when they get the main menu? Press # then enter their mailbox and password? What if they call the system by dialing the access number?

If this is an ARIA Octel then you can not delete the message until you hear it. So the 7 to delete at the end is correct.

But we would need the info that kxboy has asked to start to answer your questions

Ken Means

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

cs1000 Rls 3.0. It happens to all users. 3102 is the message key and it happens if you dial 3102 also. They are hearing the main greeting, then pressing # and entering mailbox number and password to login.

For the 7 to delete, that is how it works on a type 0 mailbox. Users will need to press 3-3 to skip to the end of the message, then press 7.

If the mailbox is a type 51, they can press 7-7 any time during message playback to delete the message.

Ok. Thanks for that on the delete issue. I'll let them know. I was looking at the ports in the Octel and the first 2 ports are set to N for everything. When I changed them to Y for incoming calls (I) the Octel answered but then dead air.

I am not sure if it has ever worked. The removed Meridian Mail and changed it out to Octel. Another vendor did the install.

This sounds like everything is in trouble. You may need to get someone in the system to figure it out.

In menu 4 what is the line type and in menu 1 1 what is the type of pbx set for?

Ken Means

Menu 4 line type is 148. Menu 1 1 type of pbx is I - PBX DMID NT Meridian 1.

ok so this is emulating 2616 sets in the pbx. Have you checked the config note for this? I am sure that the PBX or the Octel or both are not programed right and this does work fine.

Ken Means

The ports are programmed as 2616 sets in the pbx, however I could not find a recent documentation of how they should be programmed. They look ok, but the class of service has a lot of things allowed that I don't think should be.

Octel 250
Message Server
Configuration Note 5402 - Ver. J (05/02)
Northern Telecom Meridian M-1*(FLT-N)
Linear Hunt

1.0 METHOD OF INTEGRATION
The FLT-N emulates M2616 digital telephone sets
The digital set emulation integration on the Nortel Meridian One, the FLT-N within the Octel system appears as one or more digital 2616 type telephones to the PBX. When a call is presented to a hunt group consisting of FLT-N ports, the display information is read and the call is then answered with the appropriate greeting. Message Waiting is set using the message- indication and message-cancellation keys on the 2616 and cleared over FLT-N Ports.
Octel 250 requirements
2.0 OCTEL ORDERING INFORMATION
? FLT-N(s) - Each FLT-N supports 8 Ports
? Set Emulation Software feature (Feature Bit 33)
? RS232 Integration feature (Feature bit 34)
? In-band Integration feature (Feature bit 35)
3.0 PBX HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS
? NT8D02 Integrated Services Digital Line (ISDL) ports:
- Revision AB or higher
? 25-pair Amphenol cables (male end), one per FLT-N
3.1 PBX SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS
PBX software requirements
• A minimum of Generic X.11, Release 15.00 with the following:
• BACD, Basic Automatic Call Distribution, Option 40 see section 8.2
• MSB, Make Set Busy, Option 17
• ACDA, Automatic Call Distribution, Option 45
• MWC, Message Waiting Center, Option 46
• EES, Enhanced End-to-End Signaling, Option 10
• DDSP, Digit Display, Option 19
4.0 SUPPORTED FEATURES
Supported integration features
• Station forward to personal greeting
- all calls
- RNA - Busy
• System forward to personal greeting
- busy
- RNA
• Message-waiting Indicator
- lights
- audible message waiting (stutter dial tone)
• Automated attendant - Supervised - Unsupervised
• Outcalling
• Multiple return-to-operator
• Direct call
• Personal greeting of original-called party on double-call forward
• Reply to message left by subscriber in internal telephone-answering mode
• Call sender
• Multiple Personal Greetings - RNA - Busy

5.0 CONFIGURING THE M-1 PBX

Configuring the M-1 PBX
SPECIAL NOTE: The following represents changes to the M-1 PBX that will affect the Octel integration. Items not addressed here do not require modification for integration with the Octel 250 and should remain as-is on the PBX.
? It is recommended that a hard copy of the Customer Data Block be printed in overlay 21 to verify the existing programming. If necessary, change the following parameters in overlay 15 to the underlined values. Default values are listed in parentheses.
REQ CHG
TYPE CDB Customer Data Block
CUST 0-31 Customer Number
OPT MCI, (MCX) Message Center is
Included (excluded)
MDID YES, (NO) No-answer DID calls
are (are not) routed
to the Message Center
NDID YES, (NO) No-answer non-DID
calls are (are not)
routed to the Message
Center
MWFB YES, (NO) DID calls
encountering busy are
(are not) routed to
Message Center
EEST NO Enhanced end-to-end signaling
(OFF)
Programming the digital ports in a hunt group
5.1 CONFIGURING THE 2616 TERMINAL NUMBER (S) IN A HUNT GROUP
One 2616 TN is configured for each FLT-N port with Linear Hunt Configuration.
The DN assigned to key 0 is the primary directory number (PDN) used as part of the hunt group.
2616 Set
REQ NEW
TYPE 2616 Digital set data block
TN lll S CC U Terminal number: loop (0-159)
shelf (0-1) card (1-10) unit (0-7)
CDEN SD, (DD), 4D Density of this card is
single, (double), quad and is dependent on the type of PBX card is being used
CUST 0-31 Customer number
DES OCTEL1 Designation for telephone
CLS FBD Forward Busy Denied
HTA Hunting Allowed
MWD Message Waiting Denied
CNDA Calling Name Display Allowed DNDA Dialed Number Display Allowed CPTD Forced Camp-on to another set Denied
KEY 00 SCR XXXX PDN (Primary
Directory Number Port 1)
06 MSB Make Set Busy 13 MIK Message Indication Key
14 MCK Message Cancellation Key 15 TRN Transfer Key
Program one 2616 station for each FLT-N port
NOTE:
* Keys not mentioned should be configured as Blank keys.
5.4 CONFIGURING THE SUBSCRIBERS TELEPHONE
2616 Set
REQ CHG
TYPE 2616 Digital set data block
TN lll S CC U Terminal number: loop (0-159)
shelf (0-1) card (1-10) unit (0-7)
CDEN SD, (DD), 4D Density of this card is
D8 single, (double), quad
CUST 0-31 Customer number
DES XXXXX Designation for telephone
FDN XXXX Forward Directory Number (Enter the Pilot number of the Octel server)
CLS FBA Forward Busy Allowed FNA Forward Ring-No-Answer Allowed
HTA Hunting Allowed
MWA Message Waiting Allowed
CNDA Calling Name Display Allowed DNDA Dialed Number Display Allowed
HUNT XXXX Hunt DN of next station (Enter the Pilot number of the Octel server)
KEY 00 SCR XXXX PDN (Primary
01 SCN XXXX This number must be unique for each 2616 set xx MWK XXXX Message Waiting Key can be programmed on any other available key.
5.5 PBX PROGRAMMING FOR MULTIPLE PERSONAL GREETINGS
The following programming is required on the PBX to support the multiple personal greetings feature
The following programming is required on the PBX to support the multiple personal greetings feature. The programming necessary on the Octel 250 server is specified under Menu 7 in section 6.0.

? In Overlay 95, Calling Party Name Display set RESN to YES. Then assign the following values to the specified parameters:
REQ CHG TYPE CPND CUST CNFG MXLN STAL DFLN DES RESN YES CFWD CFWD CFNA RNA HUNT BUSY PKUP PKUP XFER leave at default AAA leave at default
5.6 VERIFYING THAT M-1 TNS ARE ACTIVE
Verifying that M-1 TNS are active
? To ensure the M-1 TNs are active, go to overlay 32.
• (Indicates ready to accept command)
STAT XXXX Where XXXX is the TN of
the M-1 programmed as an
Octel port
The status displayed will IDLE or DSBL
IDLE status is required. If DSBL is displayed, enable them with the following using overlay 32:
ENLU XXXX Where XXXX is the TN of
the disabled TN
6.0 CONFIGURING THE OCTEL 250

Configuring the Octel 250 for up to 24 ports
? Menu 1.1 - System Parameters
? Type of Switch connected to: I - PBX DMID NT Meridian 1
? VPMOD telephone number: This is the pilot number of the Hunt Group - Not the full DDI, only the extension number, e.g.2250.
? Number of Digits in Extension used for Outcalling and ECP:
? Number of Digits in Extension used for Message Waiting:
? Sender ID Used for Telephone Answering Messages: Calling if known
? Menu 4.1 - Port Configuration for LINEAR HUNT
? Extension/Phone No.: This field is not used for Hunt Group Support
? Incoming: Y
? Line Type: 148
? D:
? M: Y (Enter “Yes” under the “M”.)
It is recommended to dedicate ports for Message Waiting, otherwise users could experience delays.
? Menu 4.3 - RS-232 Message Waiting
? Special RS-232 Message Waiting? N
NOTE: When moving from AMID/DMID method to the FLT-N integration, Special RS-232 Message Waiting must be set to No, otherwise message waiting will not function.
Note: All other entries are customer application specific.
? Menu 4.2 - RS-232 Message Waiting
? Special RS-232 Message Waiting? N
? Menu 8/9.1 - Subscriber Mailbox Profile
? Subscribers Extension:
? Message Waiting Allowed: Y
? Int. Link Number: N/A
? Menu 7 - Class of Service Profile:
For subscribers allowed multiple personal greetings, set their class of service parameter Personal Greeting to 2 - Multiple Greetings. Be sure to remind them to record both greetings within their mailbox.
Connecting the FLTs
7.0 CONNECTING THE FLT-N
? Each FLT supports eight digital voice ports. Each FLT connects to the switch via a single 25 pair male amphenol connector cable. The first port uses the first pair of the cable; the remaining ports use every other pair.

7.2 TROUBLESHOOTING - VERIFY M-1 TNS ARE ACTIVE
Verifying the M-1 TNs are active
? To ensure the M-1 TNs are active, go to overlay 32.
• (Indicates ready to accept command)
STAT XXXX Where XXXX is the TN of
the M-1 programmed as an
Octel port
The status displayed will be IDLE or DSBL
IDLE status is the status desired. If DSBL is displayed, enable them with the following using overlay 32.
ENLU XXXX Where XXXX is the TN of
the disabled TN

7.3 TESTING THE INSTALLATION
Testing the installation
? Create two mailboxes associated with two test extensions. Record a name and personal greeting for each mailbox.
? Make sure these extensions have been forwarded under busy and no- answer conditions to the Octel 250 pilot number.
? Using one test extension, call the other test extension. You should hear the personal greeting.
? Leave a message. Verify that the message-waiting indicator turns on.
? Verify that return-to-operator works properly.
? Call the Octel 250 from a test extension. You should immediately hear the recorded name and be asked to enter your password.
? Review the message in the mailbox. Verify that you can automatically reply to internal telephone-answering messages.
8.0 CONSIDERATIONS
Important notes regarding this integration
8.1 The Meridian Option 11 does not support supervised transfers below Release 18. This is because the option 11 does not currently support reconnecting with a transferred call, Unsupervised transfers must be used.
8.2 Determine if ACD option is required. FLT-N integration installations that use hunting, does not require ACD unless the number of ports exceeds the number of hunting steps available on your PBX model. Eighteen steps are supported on the Options 11, 21, 51, or 61. Thirty steps are available on the Options 71 and 81. If the number of ports exceeds the number of hunting steps, ACD is required to expand the hunting capability.
8.3 Verified versions of PBX software include 15.00 through 25.xx.
8.4 Secretarial filtering allows a set (phone A, for example) to forward calls to a second set (phone B). If a user at phone B transfers such forwarded calls back to phone A, phone A will ring instead of re-forwarding the call.
8.5 No more than 8 voice mail ports on the NT PBX cards are recommended. Octel highly recommends that the Octel voice ports be distributed among different port cards/shelves/loops on the M1 PBX. This reduces the possibility that a single card/shelve failure will affect a large number of Octel ports. Depending on the PBX architecture, performance could also be an issue on some PBXs during high traffic, if a large number of calls are being processed on the same card. In addition, heavy traffic could cause the PBX to reboot and or initialize.
8.6 . The 2616 station configured for message waiting should be assigned on an NT card with low traffic. Otherwise, customers can experience excessive 7A (message waiting bad extension) errors, on valid extensions.
8.7 Octel recommends a ratio of one dedicated message waiting port for every 24 integrated ports. However some customer environments may require a higher ratio due to MWI traffic.
8.8 When converting from DMID integration to the FLT-N integration, be sure that Menu 4 has “Special RS-232 Message Waiting” set to NO, before shutting down the system and installing the FLT-N.
8.9 Automated Attendant/ECP applications transferring calls between NMS nodes may experience loss of integration. When Trunk Route Optimization is enabled on NMS trunks, calls transferred to stations on remote switches that forward without first ringing the station do not pass called party ID to the FLT-N port. The workaround is to have customer’s use Trunk Tromboning that allows call ID to be passed throughout the entire call process.
8.10 Avaya recommends the “Background Task 30” be disabled in the configuration data block (LD 17) of the M1. Otherwise, problems with integration and message waiting can occur. This background task 30 can be performed during the midnight routine, however is not recommended as a background routine.
8.11 F9 errors. During the PBX midnight routine, when Overlay 30 runs, the voice server may log F9 errors (25/28) accompanied by XMI clock errors. These errors are non-service affecting and are the result of a problem with the PBX clocking mechanism. This problem has been resolved with Aria 3.0 software.
8.12 Customers may experience a problem with Nortel Release 25.10, where the PBX does not provide the correct display information needed to integrate properly. Customers must request that Nortel install patch MPLR 12969 in order to resolve this problem.

9.0 ADDENDUM A - NORTHERN TELECOM’S NETWORK MESSAGE SERVICES

The Northern Telecom Network Message Services - Message Center feature is designed to allow a centralized message center to serve multiple Northern Telecom PBXs. With this feature an Octel system, acting as a message center, can provide integration for multiple Meridian SL-1 or Meridian M-1 PBXs connected with an ISDN or T-1/D-channel network.

The Northern Telecom Network Message Services feature requires one of the following Northern Telecom networking capabilities: ISDN Primary Rate Access (PRA) or ISDN Signaling Link (ISL). Both require a signaling path, called the D-channel. PRA networks utilize the D channel of the PRA to carry signaling information. ISL networks utilize a dedicated data line as a “D channel”, usually requiring modems.
To support an ISL network for integration, the D-channel must operate at 9600 bps or faster. Slower speeds can cause message-waiting notification to become unreliable. There is no restriction for PRA networks, which support a D-channel operating at 56 kbps.
Below is a summary list of the PBX requirements. This list is not intended to be all-inclusive; it is meant as a guideline only. Some options listed have hardware and software prerequisites that are not listed. It remains the responsibility of the customer and PBX vendor to identify all necessary hardware and software components and to correctly configure the Northern Telecom Network Message Services - Message Center.

NORTHERN TELECOM PBX REQUIREMENTS:
• Integration Requirements for Local PBX - refer to appropriate Configuration Note
• X11 Release 16 Software
• Network Message Services (option 175)
• Advanced ISDN Network Features (option 148)
• ISDN Signaling (option 145)
• ISDN Primary Rate Access (PRA) (option 146) or ISDN Signaling Link1 (ISL) (option 147)
• Message Center (option 46)
• End-to-End Signaling (option 10)
• Coordinated Dial Plan (CDP) (option 59) or Network Automatic Route Select (NARS)(option 58)
¹ With ISL networking, the D-channel must operate at a minimum of 9600 bps.

©2002 AVAYA Inc. All rights reserved. All trademarks identified by the ®, SM and TM are registered trademarks, servicemarks or trademarks respectively. All other trademarks are properties of their respective owners. The above information is based on knowledge available at the time of publication and is subject to change without notice. Printed in U.S.A.

AVAYA
911 Murphy Ranch Road
Milpitas, CA 95035-7912
(408) 577-7000

Ken Means

Thank you very much! I will look through it all and see if I can get it to work correctly. I can already see a few programming items that are wrong without even looking back at the ports. I'll let you know what happens.
Thanks!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back