Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

octel asking you to enter password when it is not your mailbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloriaE

Technical User
Oct 14, 2003
US
i have a user calling a 4 digit extention within her office and when the person is not at her desk, caller gets vm but instead of hearing vm of the user being called, the caller hears, " please enter your password" what is the problem???Thanks for your help

Hi GloriaE

To me it sounds like you have installed some sort of "Incommnig Call Restriction" on your collegues voice mailbox.
What OCTEL system are we talking about?
If it is VMX-100 or Octel 200/300, I can help.

Best regrads from Doktor.

Hi GloriaE,

Can you give info on the type of PBX you have ?
Could be the user has a fwd......

lever.

Hi, we are using a definity v6 and octel 250, and any user can call an extention within the office and only sometimes they get "please enter your password" they hang up and then call the ext again and they get the persons vm.

Not knowing your set up I would have to guess if the caller calls the extension they get voice email, if the caller calls Octel to get to the person's voice mail then it will ask them for a password. If you have a voice mail button on the phones to the Octel system, the caller maybe hitting that button instead of actually calling the extension itself. Just a guess here.

Avaya, Octel, AUDIX, CMS and other fun stuff.

"There is always a way, it may not be pretty but there is always a way."

P:-D

It sounds like an integration problem. Is the number dialed, a normal non vdn extension? does the last name in the station profile match exactly with the name in the Octel mailbox profile. Remember, the Octel needs the last name to come across and the extension, usually after a dot ie., Johnson,M.7997. It can also only be 15 characters.

I have found that if any of these rules are violated, I will get the open tree- the main greeting, or if the caller has a mailbox on the sytem, the caller will hear their own greeting. Still, that's not what seems to be happening to you.

One more thing. I also had one case where the calling extension had to have a mailbox on the system. For example, I had a phone in a cover answer group that had a similar problem when trying to reach a particualr extension/mailbox. I created a mailbox for the extension-even though the extension will not get messages. When I did this, the phone was able to get the correct voicemail greeting they were looking for. It's very strange. It's like the Octel has trouble with some extensions entering it if it has no record of it. I think it's also sporadic. So, maybe this is it.

We had this problem with Nortle PBX's and there was no way around it. If the called party had forwarded their phone directly to voice mail (using call forwarding variable), the PBX would send the call to VM as if it were a direct call from the mailbox owner, instead of a call forwarded to VM when the owner didn't answer.

I need to know what kind of integration are you using Flt -A's ? or voice bridge or an a pid ?

let me know . it souinds like the ports on the octel are not programed right

Thanks

Check your mrnu 6.2 inband and see if it is programed per below. If not this will cause a problem. Also the stations must be covered to VM and not call forwared.

• Digit sequence for Direct Calls: #00#N##
Digit sequence for Forward - All Calls: #03##N#
Digit sequence for Forward - Ring No Answer/Busy: leave blank
Digit sequence for Forward - Ring No Answer: #02#E#N# Digit sequence for Forward - Busy: leave blank
Number of Digits in Calling Party ID (“E”): Enter number of digits used for extensions, normally 3 or 4
Number of Digits in Called Party ID (“N”): Enter number of digits used for extensions, normally 3 or 4

Thanks, I will check all of that and let you know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back