Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Octel 200 database backup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

etexas46

Technical User
Dec 5, 2006
US
Hello- I have several Octel 200 units that need to be backed up - I will be supporting a remote onsite technician- I believe at least one is an Overture because commands are entered using CLI @ and "update" nomenclatures. I believe these things use floppy disks that are probably laying around somewhere onsite - on many other voicemails I have worked on the system needs to be shut down while backing up- does the Octel 200 require this activity or can it backup while in service- how long does it take and does anyone know the exact command string to initiate the backup ?

Thanks!

Back-up can be done to floppies during operation, and will not interfere the operation of the voice mail system.

@FLOP is the command to back-up and restore.

You need to have a person onsite to swap floppy diskettes if you want to back up voice mail messages...

I do not know about the automated back-ups....

///doktor

Thanks for the reply Doktor-

I have couple more questions - I dialed into these Octel's and they are all either VMX 200, VMX200S, VMX200SX or Octel Overture 200's - they all seem to have the same CLI commands and accept the @FLOP entry to send me to the menu- some have lower software revision levels ( some are S3.0 and some are S4.0 )

Since I now know I can do these backups during the day I'll have a tech dispatched to the sites to insert the diskettes as needed-

How can I abort a backup in progress if need be ?

How long does a full backup take and how many diskettes are used approximately ? It seems each has about 200 or so mailboxes.....

Thanks again !

I will check this.

You should be able to setup the back-up job from a remote computer dialing in to the VMX/OCTEL servers build-in modem.

It does not matter what software level the VMX/OCTEL 200/300's are in - the back-up job is done the same commands and take approx. the same time.
However, a person must be on-site and swap diskettes.

Back-up can be done during normal working hours.

///doktor

Still, all back-ups can be carried out by typing @FLOP
and yo get this printout.

1. BACKUP
2. RESTORE
3. FLOPPY DIRECTORY
SELECT FLOPPY OPTION (1 – 3, EMPTY LINE = EXIT).

Then you can select what back-up needs to be performed:
–––––––– BACKUP ––––––––
1. NAMES
2. GREETINGS
3. SCRIPT AND SEQUENTIAL MESSAGES
4. PERSONAL–DISTRIBUTION–LIST NAMES
5. PROMPTS
6. ALL NAMES, GREETINGS, SCRIPT AND SEQUENTIAL MESSAGES,
PERSONAL–DISTRIBUTION–LIST NAMES
SELECT BACKUP OPTION (1 – 6, EMPTY LINE = NONE).
:
Then the system backs up Names and greetings to the floppy disk:

–––––––––– FLOPPY DIRECTORY ––––––––––
INSERT FLOPPY, PRESS RETURN WHEN READY
TITLE: DISK #2
MAILBOX 370 NAME
MAILBOX 371 NAME
MAILBOX 372 NAME
MAILBOX 373 NAME
MAILBOX 374 NAME
MAILBOX 375 NAME
MAILBOX 254 GREETING
MAILBOX 371 GREETING
MAILBOX 372 GREETING (PART 1)
1. BACKUP
2. RESTORE
3. FLOPPY DIRECTORY
SELECT FLOPPY OPTION (1 – 3, EMPTY LINE = EXIT).

Back-up to fill up one diskette is approx. 10-15 min.

///doktor

You are welcome...
Just let me know, if you want more info.

///doktor

One final question- I have succeded in backing up several of the units - but I find when backing up "prompts" my goodness it takes forever and 8-10 diskettes on certain systems - should I even really care about backing these up ?

Do not worry about backing up prompts.
Prompts are all the system messages.
I can deliver the diskettes if needed - for the prompts.

Prompts take up to 10 diskettes and can take up to 15 minutes per diskette.

///doktor

Hello again- our backups have been going fine until today- the problem seems to be a noisy modem line causing errors to be generated with the " Program aborted ! " - message occurring in the midst of the attempted backup-

Long story short- Can a laptop be connected directly to an Octel VMX200S serial port and communicate using Hyperterminal by an onsite tech ? Personally - I always use ProComm - WYSE50, 9600, E-7-1 when dialing in remotely.

I don't know if Hyperterminal will do WYSE50 emulation- nor do I know which port on the machine is used for direct connection- does it require a null modem cable and where should we connect to the machine's serial ports ?

Any help would be appreciated as always.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back