Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OCS 2007 R2 hardware/software requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrow483

MIS
Mar 17, 2004
US
I need to setup OCS and am looking for hardware/software requirements. The MS web page gives specs for supporting 100,000 endpoints, but I am not that big.
My environment:
< 100 users (maybe < 25) using only IM and Presence
Cisco Unified Comm
Unity
Exchange 2003
Win 2003 servers
Win XP users
It appears that OCS 2007 R2 requires 64-bit OS..Can I run that on Win2003 64-bit ? If I need to go with Win2008 does it require Enterprise ? Will it work with Exch 2003 ? Does it truly require dual processors ? I have some servers with Xeon Quad Core, but only single processors.

Anyone with experience in this ?

Standard Edition OCS R2 will handle up to 5000 users (obviously it depends on simultaneous use plus how heavy the users are).

This number is so great that you'll struggle to stretch a single standard edition server. This will run fine on Wndows Server 2003 x64. For 100 users, I would have thought 4 cores would be okay(!).

If you don't upgrade to Exchange 2007 and Outlook 2007, you will see some reduced functionaility within Exchange, but this rather depends on how heavily you are integrating - for instance, you need Exchange 2007 for the UM stiff to work, but if you only want presence and IM (no Enterprise Voice in OCS), and you're not too bothered about still having Outlook 2003 on the desktop, then OCS R2 will function quite happily alongside Exchange 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back