Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ocilogon(): _oci_open_server: ORA-12540: TNS:internal limit restrictio

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekludwig

Programmer
Jun 18, 1999
US
I recently inherited responsibility of a PHP/Oracle application, and recently the following warning message popped up:
Code:
  Warning: ocilogon(): _oci_open_server: ORA-12540: TNS:internal limit restriction exceeded in <FILE> on line 3
and from the <FILE>:
Code:
  $P = ocilogin($user,$pswd)
Any ideas of what I should be looking for?

(For reference, I've cross posted this to the oracle 8i forum as thread186-753755)

----------------
Derek Ludwig
derek<at>ludwig.com

ORA-12540: TNS:internal limit restriction exceeded
Cause: Too many TNS connections open simultaneously.

Action: Wait for connections to close and re-try.

Can you connect to Oracle using sqlplus ??
ask your administrator if he has run out of connections. Some versions of the oledb provider don't release the connection (when on windows anyway).
Also post this in the Oracle forum, someone swhould come to your aid

remember to explicitly close the connection after you get the dataset back

Bastien

Any one have a techie job in Toronto, I need to work...being laid off sucks!

Thanks for the suggestion, I had already posted it to the Oracle forum as well. And got pretty much the same answer: too many connections.

And thank you for the suggestion of closing the dataset when done ... this in an application I am inheriting, and I am deciding what sort of sauce to use on the spagetti.

:)

Thanks all.

----------------
Derek Ludwig
derek<at>ludwig.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back