Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

occasional network slow dosn

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyDi

MIS
Jan 22, 2003
US
Hi,
I am running a win2000 server and win2000 workstations, occasionally when clients try to logon to workstation ALL the workstations hang, for a REALLY long time on "Applying settings". Once they finally get on they have problems opening Outlook, we are using Exchange Server, and problems getting to the internet. After a while it seems to start working again, for no apparent reason. I believe this to be a physical layer problem, but don't really know where to start. We are using a 16 port Netgear FS516 switch. Could the switch be having problems?

Diane

Hi sounds like you got a bit of a git here. I reckon your back to taking a look at your setup run task manager and see if the server is running a high percentage when the misterious pc logs on and kills the rest. Is everything on one server ie logons exchange dns wins etc then you may find your overloading the poor box. If this is the case try adding a second card onto the box. If the server all 'look' fine then your switch should have basic software for it ive never really messed with netgear but look on there web page you may find a web enabled gui that will show you your traffic. The last thing to look for is profiles mailboxes etc are they on the server and get pulled down to the desktop upon logon? If so is this killing the exchange server or logon server (Check taskmanger for mem / utilization.

Come back with some info after youve done the above and I reckon well get you to the bottom of you problems if you havent cracked it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back