Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Obtaining data from the ShapeSheet - Dimensions of a pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattGreer

Technical User
Feb 19, 2004
US
I'm using Visio to create a dimensional plot plan layout for an oil and gas facility. Using the 'Pipelines' stencil, I can add a pipe which has embedded properties. However, I'm not seeing something that I believe should be a very basic piece of information about a pipe; namely, it's length.

Since I set this up to have a certain footage and I'm using the actual dimensions of the equipment, the pipes should be fairly accurate as far as the footage lengths. My problem is that I cannot seem to get the length of that line from the information in the ShapeSheet. There's a whole lot of info in there for sure, but I can't seem to figure out how to pull that information out. Furthermore it doesn't seem like the information in the ShapeSheet is accurate?

Here's an example (sorry I couldn't get the images to change order after I uploaded). I drew a pipeline and added the dimension stencil to it. Total length should be 182.5'. When I go into the ShapeSheet, I see lots of dimensions but I can't seem to collect those dimensions together easily to add up to the same length. I added a 'Length' property to the Shape Data in the hopes of being able to expose that information but that's a stretch goal for me; I'm obviously not educated on how to use Visio beyond simple drawings.

Visio screenshots

Is there a way to find this information or produce it somehow? What I'm trying to avoid is having to add dimension shapes to every part of these pipes. I've attached screenshots of all the data that is attached to a Pipeline. Is there a set of numbers in there that add up to 182.5'?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thanks!!

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back