Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Obtaining an auto-incrimented field value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siberd

Technical User
Jun 24, 2001
US
Howdy.

I am writing an SQL/PHP forum as you may have guessed from my previous post. Its come time to add the reply functions. I need to obtain the post_id value from the database, as this is the only unique field.

Unfortunately, as this is the only unique field, i'm not sure how to get the post_id without already knowing it.

If there was a way to read a field using a query ID or something similar I should have no problem.. Can this be done?

Many thanks

/Sib
programmer in the making
e-mail: siberdude@ntlworld.com

Thanks for the info, I managed to resolve my problem using a work around, which should be pretty safe.

I did a look up on the primary key, and took the highest value. Because I had not closed the SQL connection, till the end of the script, I am sure nothing else can be writtern to the database until the script completes, thus meaning the last primary key created has to be the correct one.

/Sib
programmer in the making
e-mail: siberdude@ntlworld.com

You're using PHP, from which I infer you we are talking about a web application. With web applications, it is more than possible for two or more users to be running the same script concurrently.

Suppose "foo.php" inserts a record into a table with an auto_increment ID, then finds the maximum of the auto_increment values. Suppose further that UserA and UserB run the script concurrently. It is more than possible that the order of events will be:[ol][li]UserA's run of the script inserts a record[/li][li]UserB's run of the script inserts a record[/li][li]UserA's run of the script finds the maximum of the auto_increment column, which is UserB's record.[/li][li]UserB's run of the script finds the maximum of the auto_increment column, which is UserB's record.[/li][/ol]

UserA's run of the script and UserB's run of the script are now both operating on UserB's data. This will mess up your database and could expose sensitive information to the wrong user. This is a bad thing.

I very strongly recommend that you use PHP's mysql_insert_id() or MySQL's last_insert_id().

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back