Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Obtain DNS server automatically and DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

icodeit

Programmer
Dec 21, 2007
US
We are in the process of setting up a Windows 2008 Server in order to have a Domain network in place to manage approximately 20 users and I have a few questions. Here goes:

1. Does DNS and DHCP have to be on the same server?

Currently our router has DHCP enabled so I was thinking I would leave DHCP enabled on it and then run DNS and Active Directory on the Windows 2008 Server. This works fine but I have to set the TCP/IP properties on the client network adapters to the "Use the following DNS server addresses" option and type in the IP of the DNS server (Window 2008 Server) instead of using the "Obtain DNS server address automatically" option. I do not want because a lot of clients on this network will be laptops and will be plugging into different networks from time to time so I can not set static settings for their network adapter.

Will this work or do I need to run DHCP, DNS, and Active Directory all on the Windows 2008 Server box?

No DNS and DHCP do not have to be on the same server but if you want the functionality of having DHCP assign users the DNS server entries as well you will need to use a Windows based DHCP server and not your router's DHCP service.

Just to clarify so to use the "Obtain DNS server address automatically" option I will need to have the Windows Server box configured to be the DHCP server as well as the DNS server?

What is the best practice for a Domain network for a smaller office (20 users)?

For such small network you can put DHCP and DNS servers on one box but it is not requirement. I have many small networks with only one server box, which is AD DC, DNS server and DHCP server. Of course, in this case you should set up good backup system to avoid big problems if the only server crashes.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

Thanks for replies everybody. karlisi, when you separate DNS and DHCP on to different servers how the client network adapters configured? Are they setup to use the "Obtain DNS server address automatically" option? If so how did you do that?

If your clients are setup to use DHCP and you have a Windows DHCP server, the DHCP server provides a lot of options that include obtaining DNS and WINS server IPs and default gateway automatically (among other items). You can easily set this up in a test environment in no time

Thanks itsp1965. I understand that DHCP on a Window Server gives you all kinds of options but what about DHCP on the router? It sounds like there should be an option in the DHCP server on the router to set what DNS to use. Does that sound right?

Client adapters are configured to obtain all settings automatically. Client IP range, gateway, DNS servers, default DNS domain, all are set in DHCP scope options on server. There is no difference if DNS and DHCP servers are on different or one box.

On some routers you can set DNS server, on some not, they act as DNS forwarders to ISP DNS server.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

Well this would depend on your router (you will need to check your routers documentation). Most routers only provide rudimentary DHCP services like doling out IP addresses and that's it. This is because their primary function is to route and not be a DHCP server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back