Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Object / Version Management? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lameid

Programmer
Jan 31, 2001
US
I'm starting to reuse code in a couple different systems and ideally I do not want to manually manage the version control of the code and related objects.

Anyone have a good solution out there or a good start to one? I am not quite to the point of investing the time to write the whole thing from scratch (yet) although my first thought is some custom properties for identifying version. I'd probably some sort of central version checking database to compare object versions and move them around between/among the relevant systems although more elegant ideas or solutions are welcome. [bigsmile]

The only source code ontrol I am aware of that works with Access databases is Microsoft Visual Sourcesafe. You also need the developers version of Access (pre 2007) to use this for the necessary addons in addition to the sourcesafe software licenses.

My own means of doing this with VBA snippets (both for Access and Excel) is that I store them in an access database with notes, comments etc and copy and paste them into the main application where necessary. Not ideal, in that updates don't find their way into other systems, but better than reinventing the wheel from scratch each time.

John

Interesting, I did not know sourcesafe worked with Access. I thought it strictly managed files. That is really cool that it does. Wish I knew about it when I was working someplace that had Sourcesafe and the Developer extensions. The one person at a time making Front End changes grew tiresome there.

Alas, I provide my own computer at my current assignement because the company one is sad so I do not see real tools in my future. Honestly, I could not cost justify them for the scope of work.

I was thinking of a Source Safe like process for Access... Not even that robust. Make changes in system A and propogate those common elements to systems B and C. Like you I will probably do this manually but I have multiple tables, forms and modules involved so I will directly import them. I hate manual management, isn't that what users are for? [smile]

I suspect I'll have to write my own from scratch when I can get to it (don't hold your breath).

The one problem I anticipate is knowing if the object has really been changed or just had a filter applied or reimported because of corruption if leaning more to the source safe side. A simple loop and compare of properties is a start been then I'll have to look up how you code dealing with modules. BAH... lots of work for comparatively trivial results. Maybe I'll do it in my spare time if I ever get some. Seems like it would be a fun project.

Lameid

If you can do this (particularly if you can use something like SQL Express, MySQL or SQLite for storing of objects), I think it would certainly be worth releasing as an open source package, or commercial if you can get it working well. Certainly I would be interested in looking at something better than I have at present, and I think others may well be as well.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back