Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Object snaps back to origin after moving it? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielh68

Technical User
Jul 31, 2001
US
Hi,

I've upgraded from 8 to 10 and I'm still trying to adjust to the many new features. Anyhow I have this problem with moving objects. I have an object with many pieces, if I marquee around the whole thing, move it, then release it, it snaps back to the place of origin. Now, if I select just a piece of the object, I can move it and it doesn't snap back. So how can I move it? Very strange. Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,
DanH

Select all, group them, move it, ungroup.
HTH
Michael

That is strange indeed. you may need to completly uninstall and reinstall Ai 10.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

I agree with jaquan that this is a possibility. Question would be, is your version of 10 an upgrade or complete version. AI also is one of those programs where upgrading ca be done for 2 or 3 versions, but then it is best to get rid of the old then bring in the new.
Keep us informed on how you are doing,
Michael

Another slim possibility: If you're on a Mac (certainly on OS 9, possibly on OS X), and you're trying to move the object so far in a direction that the mouse icon passes the edge of the Illustrator window, you've invoked a Mac feature that allows you to store your selection on the desktop as something called a Clipping. If you don't do it just right, though, the Clipping won't be made, and when you let go with the mouse, the objects you've moved will actually animate back to their original position. It hasn't hurt anything if you did make the Clipping, as it's a copy; if you don't want it, trash it. Next time, drag gently to just the edge of the window, and the window will scroll over for you.

I have this same problem. I will try to reload it again. I really thought maybe they had changed something in the new version. Hobbitk is right that seems to work fine, but certainly is time consuming and I hope not necessary. We'll see what reloading it does.

There is something funny....I had that problem quite awhile ago. Therefore I didn't upgrade, we were to busy for the trouble shoot. I stayed with V8. Just recently do to a font problem I had to upgrade & it works fine....

my thoughts....

"Computers...persistance not logic" [j]

i got this error too and i foud a way out
first select what u want to move then deselect it with shift en select it again with shift and then u can move it without any problems
strange thought that this happens must be a bug

i am again having this problem but can't trace the pattern. when & why it occurs once in awhile. I cant even window with the open selection tool and select a few nodes to move together, I have to shift seklect each one individually....O, Illustrator people what have you done? I can't help but think there is a new feature that is turned on an off by some key stroke that is screwing with this feature.

anybody...I'll keep reading everything and try to find answers.

[j]

I wouldnt upgrade from an earlier version. Try removing all .ai components and do a fresh install of 10. Also if you insist on using the latest OS (XP or OSX) you may be out of luck til AI v11.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Hi!
I have a very similar problem you guys describe here. When moving objects by dragging they snap back to their original position on mouse release. Moving with arrow keys does not have any affect on the object. This only happens when the object is still selected due to the recent action (f.i. when it is just pasted and still selected or when it is a text object I just typed in). The only way to handle this is to deselect the object first and reselect it again. Then moving works. This is very anoying because it multiplies the mouseklicks necessary during a project.
Maybe there is an idea behind this, like preventing objects from beeing accidently moved during editing or something. But I think it is more likely a sort of bug that appears when upgrading from 8 to 10.

Please let me know if someone has fixed this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back