Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Object size and position don't stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickJ

Programmer
Apr 5, 2000
CA
This question pertains to Crystal Reports 8 though I've had similar problems with 7.

I want some fields to be centered vertically within the section they're a part of. I know the exact size of the section because I changed the height of a field that was aligned with the top of the section using the "option size and position" option available on right-clicking the field. (is there another way to find the size of a section?)

I've since re-sized the field to it's original size. Now I want to change the position of the field. So, again using "option size and position," I changed the "y" value from 0.000 to 0.040. However, Crystal Reports for whatever reason decided to use 0.020 instead of 0.040.

Does anyone know why this happens? I have removed all guidelines from my report and I'm using free-form placement because snap to grid is a nuisance to a guy like me.

Thanks
RickJ

The Y value is the distance from the top of the section to the top of the field. If the depth of the field won't fit between the bottom of the field and the bottom of the section, it will reduce the number.

Is it possible that the object won't fit from that position to the end? Ken Hamady
Crystal Reports Training/Consulting and a
Quick Reference Guide to VB/Crystal (including ADO)

Nope, I should have mentioned that in my original post.

The field is small enough that setting Y to .04 won't put it past the bottom of the section, or even touching the bottom.

Since my first post I have been able to change the object position by zooming in to 400% and dragging it down a little bit with the mouse. As a matter of fact, after dragging it down, I checked the size and position and "y" was 0.040, which is what I was after. I just don't understand why I can't get the same result by typing it in the object size and position dialog box.

By the way, is there a similar function for sections, so that I could see (and if necessary change) the exact height of a section?

Thanks again
Rick

Not that I can find. Section height seems to still be analog. Ken Hamady
Crystal Reports Training/Consulting and a
Quick Reference Guide to VB/Crystal (including ADO)

RickJ : I've found similar situations on creating reports - I can have instances where I set the 'x' and 'y' co-ordinates of a report object by setting their position only to find a slight discrepency when I read the 'x'/'y' co-ordinates if I then look at them again - this makes aligning objects in a report somewhat tricky on occasions.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back