Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Object exporter/importer job role - question for a n00b

Status
Not open for further replies.

trsiskotr

Technical User
Aug 24, 2011
GB
Hi there,

I may have the chance to work on a basic level in terms of helping export documents from an old livelink server to importing to a new livelink server.
Apparently everything is exported in xml format, now I am know coder or developer let alone 3rd line, this seems to be a specific task where they want a few guys to come in and move around 500,000 documents to the latest livelink i suspect.
anyway i realise that object exporter module is a basic tool so that helps me to lesson the worry about the difficulty at hand, does anyone have any thorough guides on doing this migration and what kinda processes I would need to follow not to mention attention to detail. anyway my background is mostly windows desktop role past and present, my exposure to livelink is that i helped install it on the client end and assisted with users having it work within MS OFFICE.

You will learn the jist of doing this by exporting a small folder of docs form livelink to a new instance.when importing you will run into errors when metadata(category/attributes) don't match or if users/groups in source system does not exists in target system.Once you understand what is to be done(there should be a document I put together in the knowledge base of livelink
it is very easy.usual tools to develop xml structures are VBA(access,excel),vbscript,perl or any programming language.the online documentation has examples as well and you just gain experience by doing it.

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937
Certified OT Developer,Livelink ECM Champion 2008,Livelink ECM Champion 2010

I have the same document hosted here
it is a free registering opentext site.once you sign up you can get this as well as a host of other useful things

that is the best one can do.

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937
Certified OT Developer,Livelink ECM Champion 2008,Livelink ECM Champion 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back