Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Object edge transparency - fade out

Status
Not open for further replies.

coupe7

Technical User
Oct 2, 2005
CA
I'm trying to overlay a smaller cropped photo onto a different one and I want the edges of the cropped object on top, to fade out. My cropped object is an ellipse and I can use the Interactive Object Transparancy Tool set to Ellipse to do so, but I don't want the entire ellipse object to start fading out, just the outside border, say 20%. I can make a copy of my cropped photo, crop it down a bit more and overlay that on the somewhat transparant cropped object under it. That makes it look like the border is fading out but the edge between the top smaller ellipse and the one behind it is still fairly sharp. Any ideas? I figured using the Eraser with a high feather rate was not really an option as it's not a controlled movement to execute.
Thanks

Mark

select your top layer
Go to effects>>creative>>vignette
You can pick color, shape, offset, and % of fade.

You can also go to Object>>Feather and then select # of pixels to fade.

Hope this helps!!

Shaibaer

Thanks Shaibaer, I'll try that. Plus, I think it also works to feather the edges of a mask before it's applied.

Mark

you could also add a Clip Mask to the object based on the object's current transparency and then use a Radial fill on the mask fading from black on the outside edge to white on the center of the mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back