Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

O% Utilization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moth

Technical User
Jun 5, 2001
AU
Hi, Following on from my previous post re: unallocated memory, this is a bit odd, why are my processors showing 0% ALL THE TIME!? The server is v busy ?

Any clues, Thanks

That is a feature of SMP running on NetWare 4.x - that's all I can say. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Yeah! I know its rubbish (I didnt install it)!! but its been live for over a year and just started doing it, so Im a bit confused!

What SP are you running? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Moth,
this was reply to your last post which relates to this post also.

From Novell ...
"...On some servers, monitor will show processor utilization at 0% all of the time. This problem is not specific to SMP but seems to be more likely to occur on SMP server. All indications are that it is purely a cosmetic problem. A fix to the problem has not yet been implemented..."

In 4.11 the LAN support modules, CLIB modules, and Novell Web Server 2.5 are all SMP enabled. All other modules shipped with intraNetWare must still run on processor 0. GroupWise 5 is also SMP safe.

SMP AND FILE SYSTEM PERFORMANCE:
NetWare 4.11 SMP provides no improvement for file system performance (unless the server is running a database management system with a proprietary file system interface). With the current release of NetWare SMP, all file system access must be handled by processor 0. On a server where the disk channel is operating near maximum capacity, running the server with SMP will aggravate the problem and could cause hangs or abends.

SMP AND LAN PERFORMANCE:
Improved LAN performance is one of the major advantages of multiprocessing on a NetWare server. The LAN support modules in NetWare 4.11 SMP are multiprocessing enabled and will take advantage of any additional active processors. On a server where heavy LAN traffic is causing slowness or utilization problems, SMP can provide a very noticeable performance improvement.

I hear you MarkhP Im just surprised that this has suddenly happened. We are also getting a few complaints about Lan performance (as it states in the last paragraph of your text, multiprocessing increases lan performance), so something is amiss somewhere, also the idle loop is running at 0% as well ? isnt that a little strange?
Please dont refer me back to that doco again! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back