Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NWadmin causes Illegal Operations/shutdown 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsloan

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2001
US
Hello, I'm a new network admin, and there's no one here to ask questions to, so I hope one of you can help me.

Every time I run Netware Admin (nwadmn32) or Backup Exec from my workstation, as soon as I close the program I start getting messages that "Explorer has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down", "Rundll32 has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" etc. I think there are a couple more.

Is there a patch available somewhere to fix this? Do I just need to re-install ... something?!? Please help, I'm getting really tired of restarting my computer several times a day.

Thanks in advance!
jsloan

You might want to try the very latest client (3.3 if Win95/98, 4.8 if NT/2000).

I had this same problem with a Windows 95 client machine. When you receive several error msgs such similar to these (specifically the RUNDLL32) it is an indication that your files are corrupted. You can try the lates service pack from MS or reinstall the O.S. over the existing installation. Also, here is a link that will help you to narrow the prolem down:

This will give you a starting point to troubleshoot this problem.

larsmoul

Larsmoul & 6pack,
thank you for the advice & link. I'm not sure what to do with it, since it doesn't mention rundll32 anywhere? but I will try to figure it out. How can I tell whether my machine has the latest MS patches or not? It already runs windows update weekly, would that be enough to tell me thats not the problem?

reinstalling the win98se OS seems pretty drastic to me.. I've heard that the previous owner of this workstation (the guy I inherited my job from) was thinking of reformatting the drive and starting again. also seems drastic to me, and I haven't been here long enough to know what programs (there's a lot of shareware, etc on there) I might need and which are garbage. Perhaps this summer..... till then I do have another machine (nt4) which also has nwadmin already on it so I guess I will use that one for now.

thanks for the help guys.
Jsloan

I have experienced this as well.
One thing that causes it less is to copy the Win32 directory (where nwadmin is located) to you local hard drive. It also speeds up the load time for the program.

If you have more than one Novell server, you might try running nwadmin from a different server. Those files might be corrupt. Or try it from another workstation to determine if the corrupted files are on the server or workstation.

If that doesn't fix the problem, you will likely need to reinstall Windows. (This can be done over top of your current version)

Dan

This is problem that shows up fairly regularly on Win9x machines.

Go to Novell's support site and then to the 'Knowledge Base'. Put a check mark in the box beside 'Netware' and then do a search on Technical Information Document (TID) 10016433.

This document provides an explanation for the problem.

LouMarles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back