Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NW6.0sp5 Memory Upgrade Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSW

IS-IT--Management
Jan 9, 2002
US
I added an additional 1g of memory to my Dell PowerEdge 1500 server for a total of 2g to increase the cache buffer percentage that was dipping into the low to mid 50's. Since installing the memory and restarting the server I see that the memory in working because the console memory command reports back 2g but my cache buffers have not moved..

What am I missing here, is there something I need to do to make my cache buffers use this added memory..

Thanks...Scott

THE CACHE BUFFER PERCENTAGE WILL GO UP. AS TIME GO BY.
BE PATIENT. WAIT A DAY OR TWO. SEE WHAT HAPPEN.

Scott do you have both Traditional and NSS volume? if you have both types of volumes, the resources have to split between the two systems so it takes more RAM. It's better to have either one type or the other.

Also, Netware 6 allocates memory differently than previous versions and it's typical to see numbers like what you are saying. This doesn't mean that your system is suffering, it just means that Netware has allocated the memory to various processes.

There are ways to tweak different things but it's probably not necessary unless you are having other issues.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

No I'm not having any issues but I'm adding additional hard disk space to the server and was concerned that I didn't have enough memory.

My current config is as follows:
Raid 5 Controller with (3)17g Drives.
Adding 1 additional 17g Drive.
Installed Memory is now 2g.

By the way my volumns are all NSS..

Thanks for your help..Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back