Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NVRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFSpark5

Technical User
Mar 4, 2003
GB
Does anyone know of a way to remove the configs held in the NVRAM chips on Cisco Switches(Cannot console or Telnet into switch), they cannot be degaussed due to the materials used in this chip (apparently. Also i need to locate the NVRAM chips on the boards anybody got that info or a site that would have it?

NFSpark5,

It might help if we knew WHICH Cisco switch you are asking about :)

Like Cisco routers, Cisco switches can be very different since they are made by different companies for Cisco!!!

Normally, if you just Google Cisco XXXX switch, you will find the links to Cisco for pages and pages of product guides, hardware setup etc. etc.

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

There should be a jumper/microswitch to reset everything, but we do need a model...

Burt

I cannot console in to the switch (port is broken somehow)and Telnet is not allowed or set up, i have potentially sensitive config data and i cannot return to Cisco or 3rd line repair until i either remove the config or destroy the chip. I have differant types of switches so let me just give you two , WS-3750g-24TS-E, WS-3560-24TS-S, i have searched under system board, motherboard, NVRAM etc etc but cannot find the layouts of the chips on the boards anywhere, an other option is if i knew the manufacturer and they could give me this info, is suppose

I think the 3750 & 3560 have a facility called "setup express".(All of mine do)
Press and hold the mode button on the front for 10 seconds and the config is renamed and all other settings then go to default and the console port should then work.

Otherwise power off and on whilst holding the mode button in, the switch will then go into rommon. The console port should then work & from there you can delete the config.text and vlan.dat files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back